As we make our way through winter, there are plenty of ways to spice up your kitchen with new, healthy recipes! Well + Good features a vegetable and black-eyed peas soup recipe from Marie Reginato that will warm you up while fueling your body with many essential nutrients.
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas (or 3 to 4 cans)
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 4 celery stocks, chopped
- 2 heads bok choy
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 3 to 4 large handfuls of kale, chopped
- 2 handfuls of mushrooms, chopped
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- ½ large red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of chili flakes
- Pinch of salt
- Warm olive oil in a large saucepan. Cook the diced onions and crushed garlic until tender (about five minutes). Add the chopped carrots, celery and a few pinches of salt to the saucepan and sauté for 15 minutes.
- In a very large pot, add the vegetable stock, tomatoes, dry beans and sautéed vegetables. Cook on medium-high heat for 2 ½ hours.
- Add the kale, mushrooms and bok choy leaves. Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes until the beans and kale are tender.
- Add chili flakes and salt to your liking.
*If you are using canned beans, wait to add them until the last 30 minutes of cooking your soup.
Find more recipes from Well + Good here.